[Soc-coordination] week 5 report

Juliana Leal juliana.m.louback at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 01:52:34 UTC 2014

Status report - WebRTC portal for the Debian community

Week 5

I've all but finalized the issue list for the jscommunicator (
https://github.com/opentelecoms-org/jscommunicator/issues).

With a couple more add ons, I fixed 4 of the issues on the list, these
being 3, 4, 24, 13 and 2 as well as researched alternatives for issues 9
and 10. The fix for these issues must be discussed to define the better
solution, but the POA is pretty much laid out. These issues are to create
support for SIP instance id and generate more informative error messages
for failed calls.

The issue 12 fix creates and treats the option of keeping the most recently
dialed number in the dialbox. Also committed are added utilities from issue
3 and 4 which are display controls on the webcam display during video calls
and making the webcam display size mouse-drag customizable (used
jquery-ui). During that fix I also added a draggable functionality to move
the webcam display around because I thought it could be nice and it only
needed another line of code (pending mentor approval). After the
modifications to the webcam display, issue 24 (display of last frame from
previous video call when starting new call) no longer occurs, though I
don't count this as closed until I can confirm the cause of this behavior.
Issue 13 notes that the dtmf tone is of constant duration independent of
the button click duration, so now dtmf is sent on button press instead of
after press and release. Currently this functionality redials the clicked
URI for an audio-only call; I've been thinking of saving the type of call
(audio/video or audio-only) and redial accordingly. Should be trivial.

This week I also began setting up my site/blog where I will document my
work as it progresses. I've also reached out to members of the debian
community requesting italian and irish translations.

I've been in touch with Yehuda Korotkin who is a tech professor in one of
the leading colleges for women in Israel. She is planning a video
conference to present Debian to her students. As one of their peers, I plan
to participate and hope I'll be of help in arousing their interest in OS as
a whole and explaining how they can contribute to the Debian community.
I also think I can finally begin adding the IM component to jscommunicator.

My best,
Juliana Louback