[Soc-coordination] GSoC 2014: mhonarc replacement for lists.debian.org

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 13:40:51 UTC 2014

> * Pali Rohár <pali.rohar at gmail.com> [2014-03-05 11:24:19 +0100]:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I already wrote that I'm interesting in project for archiving and
>> formatting emails from mailinglists. I asked confirmed mentor formorer
>> for this project [1] and he wrote me that he would happy to accept
>> this application.
>>
>> But there is one important thing about it. For my bachelor thesis I
>> have already started doing something similar/same. So I need to know
>> if I can to participate with this project [1] for GSoC 2014 and reuse
>> my bachelor project code or continue working on it for GSoC. In my
>> opinion according to this Google GSoC FAQ [2] it is allowed. But is it
>> OK for Debian as mentoring organization? Or are there any other
>> problems?
>
> As an org admin I have no problem with that, provided that the original
> software is free and published in some way, and that your modifications stay
> that way. All the more so if the project mentor already ACKed that the software
> would fit. Software reuse and adaptation is perfectly fine, all the more so in
> a distribution where doing just that is our "core" line of work.
>
> Obviously you'll have to go through the normal student application process and
> get ranked using the same criteria as other students would be, but you won't be
> forced to build everything from scratch, if your mentor says it's OK. And if
> the code is published free software, then any student is free to do the same
> and build their application upon that same base.
>
> (As an aside, having some software written already proves, to some extent, your
> worth as a GSoC student, and therefore can only help the mentor evaluate your
> application in a favorable light)
>
> Cheers and HTH,
> --
> Nicolas Dandrimont
>
> BOFH excuse #441:
> Hash table has woodworm

I understood project proposal [1] as not to extend any existing SW
(like mhonarc), but create new one, because there is no good one. My
bachelor project is not public yet (because it not working now and
hard to use), but there is no problem to make it free. So it is needed
to do some (non-working) code drop now (in the time of student
application period) of my project under free license and mark it as
original? Or it is enough to do that after I have something working?
Note that I do not expect working executable code before end of
student application period.

[1] - https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2014/ProjectProposals/ListArchive

--
Pali Rohár