[Soc-coordination] Packaging-related warm-up task?

Leandro Doctors ldoctors at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 10:40:04 UTC 2014

Hello Debian GSoC people,

I'm considering to apply as a student for GSoC 2014 within Debian.
My main interests are packaging and system building.

I'm interested in these projects:
-"Bootstrappable Debian" [0]
-"Integrate Debian Chroot with Android" [1]
-"Package Elementary Software" [2]

Even though I am a long-term Debian and Ubuntu user, I'm new to
packaging itself.
So, I was thinking on a "warm-up" task, as many other projects have
(in this case, packaging).

Q1) Do you think packaging is it a good "warm up" task? If not, would
you please suggest another one?

Regarding packaging, I have started to re-read the packaging-related
documentation, and I intend to start a somewhat easy packaging task.
However, when I reviewed the work-needed-and-prospective list [3], I
was overwhelmed. The list is simply too long!

Q2) Any ideas on how to narrowing the list to a "easy" packaging tasks?

Cheers,
Leandro

[0] https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2014/Projects/Bootstrappable Debian
[1] https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2014/Projects/Integrate Debian