[Soc-coordination] Next steps

Ritesh Raj Sarraf rrs at debian.org
Tue Feb 24 15:21:06 UTC 2015

Hello Joseph,

On 02/23/2015 07:56 PM, Joseph Bisch wrote:
> Hi Ritesh,
>
> I am a student that participated in GSoC with Debian in 2014.
>
> That is great that you already have 3 students contacting you! Just by
> contacting you they are showing that they are interested in the
> project you are mentoring.

Great. So that's a good thing. But I don't think all the students can
work on the same project. Can they ?

If there are multiple students interested on the same project, how is it
decided on who gets to work on it ?

> You might want to encourage the students to contribute to Debian in
> some way. The contributions don't have to be huge (consider that
> students are probably in school at this time and some may also have a
> job), but by starting to contribute before GSoC starts, the students
> can show that they are not just interested in getting paid. Also, if
> the students are willing to contribute before GSoC, they might be more
> likely to continue contributing after GSoC ends.
>
> Be sure to mention the newcomer tag in the BTS.

Yes. I've already asked all the folks to start by, using it.

Apport, for now, resides only in Debian Experimental. With this GSoC, I
intend to improve that situation and see the possibility of it becoming
native to Debian.

> You might also make a little coding project for the students to submit
> with their application. It allows you to gauge their skills. See the
> example in the desirable skills from the project I worked on last
> year: [0].

Hey!!. Thanks for pointing this out. This is good. I don't have anything
right-away, but I perhaps should consider something similar.

--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf | http://people.debian.org/~rrs
Debian - The Universal Operating System