[Soc-coordination] Sixth report: Debsources as a Platform

Clément Schreiner clement at mux.me
Sun Jul 5 21:08:53 UTC 2015

Hi,

This is the sixth weekly report on my Summer of Code project 'Debsources
as a Platform'[1].

(Previous report:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/soc-coordination/2015-June/002547.html)

Tasks done this week
--------------------

1. finish the extract_new stage
-------------------------------

2. make a celery task with the 'hello world' plugin

3. how to make pluggable celery tasks
-------------------------------------

I had to add this task, because it took some time for me to figure out
how to make tasks that do not depend on the debsources updater's celery
setup. However, it is actually very easy. The documentation was merged
in PR#23[2] and I updated the hello world plugin in my branch[3].

4. update the (current, synchronous) updater and its tests

(so that they pass the tests after the changes I add to make in the
fs_storage and db_storages modules.)

That took a lot of time because a lot of tests would not pass on my
machine, even in the master branch. I eventually had to give up and
disable the webapp tests, since they are not related to my work, so that
I could continue my work.

I had to make a few changes to the `debmirror.SourcePackage.description`
method (missing VCS fields)[4][5] and to the sync updater[6].

5. pass debsources configuration to the celery tasks

I updated the debsourcs-async-update program as well as the tasks so
that they use the configuration file.[7]

---------
Next week
---------

1. finish the test suite for the async updater

2. debug/fix a problem in the extract_new stage

(the file_table retrieved from the DB is always None)

3, 4, 5, 6. port the 4 plugins to celery

Thanks for reading,

Clément

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2015/StudentApplications/ClementSchreiner

[2] https://github.com/Debian/debsources/pull/23