[Soc-coordination] GSoC 2015 Week 10: Move forward reproducible builds

Dhole dhole at openmailbox.org
Fri Jul 31 18:06:46 UTC 2015

Hi,

This week I finished my work on ghostscript: I updated the ghostscript
patch I was working on last week to match newest version (9.15~dfsg-1).
In the version update, some patched files where moved and now the
Document ID generated by ghostscript uses localtime so I replaced the
function by gp_get_realtime which honours SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH in order to
get a reproducible ID.
I tested the new patch against some packages I tried last week (with the
old version) to check that everything worked properly.
I pushed the patch updated to our git repo:
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/reproducible/ghostscript.git/commit/?h=pu/reproducible_builds&id=d6adec96b93f3ed15474d0e967009c14cd21bb48

I also uploaded the package to our APT repository and sent a bug to Debian:
    https://bugs.debian.org/794004

I have updated the experimental toolchain section in the wiki with the
ghostscript patch.

I patched moin to make it build reproducible, after a few headaches :P.
It turned out that zip was adding timestamp metadata not shown by
zipinfo. After normalizing the files mtime, there were still differences
in the zip file not shown by zipinfo: it was the last access time
metadata. Adding -X to zip solved the issue :D.
Patch submitted:
    https://bugs.debian.org/794014

I started working on qhelpgenerator to honour SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH. The
patch is written, the build takes quite some time (5+ hours on the
machine I was working on initially, which run out of space, so I
prepared another machine with more space). I have it built and will
proceed with testing next week

I also tagged some packages without notes that were affected by several
issues I can recognize easily now that I've been looking at many
packages for the past two months.

From those packages I patched two:
- whizzytex (remove timestamp)
    https://bugs.debian.org/794247
- cortado (replace timestamp with debian/changelog)
    https://bugs.debian.org/794248

Best regards,
--
Dhole