[Soc-coordination] GSoC 2015 - Proposal to work on debian for mobile

Robin KERDILES kerdiles.robin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 09:49:27 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm a student and I would like to apply for GSoC 2015. I went on
#debian-soc on OFTC about one week ago to ask for help (how to find a
project and a mentor related to my ideas).

I would like to work on project where the global idea would be to port
debian to a mobile device. Of course as this is a big work and I have to
find what I can do during GSoC. There is multiple projects related :
"Integrate Debian with Android" and another I talk about later.

I was proposed to contact broonie which was mentoring (GSoC 2014) a
project called "Linux hardware support for one mobile device". I tried
to contact him but I couldn't get a reply yet.

The project existed for freeBSB before :
https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2014Ideas#Port_FreeBSD_on_a_smartphone_.28any_maker_and_model.29
but I want to work on a linux system and debian was my initial thought.
The description is corresponding to what I look for but for debian.

My initial question would be : is there someone which would like to
mentor a project which consists to port debian to a mobile device ? The
objectives for mid-term would be to boot debian on a mobile device and
getting a working GUI for end of term.

Thank you in advance,

Robin KERDILES