[Soc-coordination] Projects and mentors wanted for our participation in upcoming outreach programmes

Gunnar Wolf gwolf at gwolf.org
Mon Feb 15 16:58:05 UTC 2016

Nicolas Dandrimont dijo [Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 05:12:30PM +0100]:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Some of you have been waiting for it, and it's finally time: we are looking for
> mentors and project ideas for Debian's next participation in outreach
> programmes, from May to August 2016.
>
> Thanks to our sponsors, we will be participating in the 12th round of Outreachy
> [1], and we have applied as a mentoring organization for the 2016 edition of
> Google Summer of Code [2].
> (...)
> If you would like an intern to participate in your corner of Debian during the
> next few months, here is your opportunity! Go to our Projects Ideas page [3],
> describe your idea using our template, and give us a heads-up on the mailing
> list [4]. As we're participating in Outreachy, all kinds of projects are welcome,
> whether technical in nature or not.

Hi, Nicolas, and other SOC people.
Hi, fellow keyring-mainters,

I have been trying to get some interesting data out of doing
historical analysis of our keyring, as well as adding some health
checks on it, getting some indicators, maybe see whether we are
heading in the right direction or there is something we are missing. I
have been quite short on time, so my work has slept for months.

I am targetting getting two kinds of output: On one side, something
useful for Debian, both as documentation regarding our practices and
the aforementioned keyring health indicators. On the other side, I
want to get some publishable results; for that, I have been working a
bit with people at my universities (on one, I am a teacher, on the
other, I'm a graduate student). But any extra pair of hands and eyes,
plus a keen set of neurons linking them together, might prove very
useful.

I have not shared much of my work even with keyring-maint itself; I
have at least one script that does interesting work, but is soooooo
slow and suboptimal I'm rather interested in rewriting it from
scratch. Anyway, I do have two bits of (very preliminary) output that
can show approximately where I want this to be heading (both in
Spanish, covering very similar work):

- Poster presented at a local conference: "Strengthening the web of
  trust in a geographically distributed project' (oct 2015)
  http://ru.iiec.unam.mx/2767/

- Corresponding presentation; very similar contents, in a presentation
  format, as well as a (partly cut :-( ) video are available at
  https://congreso.seguridad.unam.mx/2015/conferencia/fortalecimiento-del-llavero-de-confianza-en-un-proyecto-geogr%C3%A1ficamente-distribuido

So, if you think this is SOC material, I'll be happy to explain where
I want to head next.