[Surfraw-devel] tool versions and surfraw

James Rowe jnrowe at ukfsn.org
Sat Mar 4 21:28:19 UTC 2006

* Moritz Muehlenhoff (jmm at inutil.org) wrote:
> James Rowe wrote:
> > * Moritz Muehlenhoff (jmm at inutil.org) wrote:

> > > Surfraw has already been adapted to the new make behaviour a few days
> > > ago, you can grab the copy of 2.1.3 at
> > > http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/surfraw/surfraw_2.1.3.tar.gz
> >
> >   Neither the 2.1.3 release or CVS contain such a fix, and so fail in
> > exactly the same way.
>
> >From a freshly downloaded 2.1.3: (Makefile.in)
>
> %: %.IN
>         -rm -f $@ $@.tmp
>         sed 's, at bindir\@,${bindir},g; '\
> 	'            s, at mandir\@,${mandir},g; '\
> 	'            s, at VERSION\@,${VERSION},g; '\
> 	'            s, at prefix\@,${prefix},g; '\
> 	'            s, at ELVIDIR\@,${ELVIDIR},g; '\
> 	'            s, at sysconfdir\@,${sysconfdir},g' $< >$@.tmp

  From ftp.debian.org, surfraw_2.1.3.tar.gz(MD5 417a62983137e011c0d51fab1c51a179)
> %: %.IN
> 	-rm -f $@ $@.tmp
> 	sed 's, at bindir\@,${bindir},g; '\
> '	     s, at mandir\@,${mandir},g; '\
> '	     s, at VERSION\@,${VERSION},g; '\
> '	     s, at prefix\@,${prefix},g; '\
> '	     s, at ELVIDIR\@,${ELVIDIR},g; '\
> '	     s, at sysconfdir\@,${sysconfdir},g' $< >$@.tmp
> 	chmod +x $@.tmp
> 	mv $@.tmp $@

  I'm just going to assume your inlined version has spaces where tabs should
be because it was a cut & paste, and the versions we are looking at are the
same.  The issue arises because of the quoting.  Like I asked originally,
what version of make are you using that accepts such syntax?  I'm open to
making the ebuild depend on a different make tool, and I'd prefer that over
having to patch it locally.

  For what it's worth I've tried the few makes I have available locally,
vanilla GNU make 3.80, Gentoo's GNU make 3.80-r3 and five year old Sun Pro
make.  The only case I've been able to see it succeed is an unreleased GNU
make 3.81 development tree, which is well... an unreleased development tree.
All of the others exhibit the exact same build failure, because of the
quoting and indentation.

  The patch I posted at the top of the thread, or something similar, works
in both instances(current released tools and the dev trees).

Thanks for your time

Jay