[Surfraw-devel] Setting language in surfraw.conf

Ian Beckwith ianb at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Sun Oct 7 01:06:26 UTC 2007

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 06:22:56PM +0200, Simon Ernst wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I don't know if this idea had already come up, but what about a
> language option in the surfraw.conf file? There are various elvis
> which have such an option. Until now, I had to edit them, so they
> always use my language.  Next update and my changes are gone. I had
> to edit every single elvi again and again.

Good idea. I've implemented it as SURFRAW_lang, which should be set to
a 2-letter ISO country code. Elvi affected: amazon, bbcnews, ebay,
ixquick, leodict, opensearch, translate, wetandwild, wikipedia.
I've just committed it to CVS. There's also a new elvis, lsm, to
search the linux software map.

Incidently, you didn't need to edit the elvi directly, you could set
defaults in .surfraw.conf or as environment variables. In general, any
variable declared at the top of an elvis source file with def or defyn
can be overridden like this. For instance, if you wanted pgpkeys to
always display signatures, add to your ~/.surfraw.conf:

SURFRAW_pgpkeys_sigs=on

likewise, with the new SURFRAW_lang variable, to set your
country/language to fr:

SURFRAW_lang=fr

cheers,

Ian.

--
Ian Beckwith - ianb at nessie.mcc.ac.uk - http://nessie.mcc.ac.uk/~ianb/
GPG fingerprint: AF6C C0F1 1E74 424B BCD5  4814 40EC C154 A8BA C1EA