[Surfraw-devel] POLL: graphical or text mode by default?

Ian Beckwith ianb at erislabs.net
Wed Aug 27 22:27:03 UTC 2008

Hi all,

According to the documentation, surfraw defaults to running a
graphical browser, but I've just noticed the current configuration
defaults to running a text mode browser:

defyn   SURFRAW_graphical		no

However, the default for Debian users was to run sensible-browser
(which tries to run a graphical browser first) when run in text mode,
so Debian users essentially defaulted to graphical mode.

So, if I change surfraw to match the docs, it should default to
graphical mode, and (on Debian) run www-browser (text only) in text
mode and sensible-browser (tries to run graphical browser, falls back
to text browser) in graphical mode. On non-debian systems it (now)
tries to detect installed browsers.

I believe the rationale was that graphical mode is better for
beginners, and it is easy for advanced users to change the default.

However, people might be used to the current configuration and find
the change annoying, so I thought I'd ask the list. Any strong
opinions either way? Either mail the list or me directly.

If I don't hear any opinions to the contrary, I'll change the default
to graphical mode.

Ian.

--
Ian Beckwith - ianb at erislabs.net - http://erislabs.net/ianb/
GPG fingerprint: AF6C C0F1 1E74 424B BCD5  4814 40EC C154 A8BA C1EA