[Surfraw-devel] Elvi?

Ian Beckwith ianb at erislabs.net
Wed Mar 26 21:41:57 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 07:38:56PM -0400, Duane Ryan wrote:
> As a latin geek, I feel that it is my duty to note that the plural of Elvis
> is *not* elvi but elves, though I can see why this might inspire confusion
> in the user.
>
> Cheers! -duane.

:)

I was going to say "We've just been following the terminology of the
original author", but I checked, and in the file HACKING there is
a definition:

> First, find a front end (`an elvi, types of elvis -- makes evil nice')

So Elvi is actually the singular form, and I've been using it wrong,
including in all the docs I wrote.

So, given elvi singular, elvis plural, does that make sense in latin
(or any other language)? What would be latin for a thing that
'makes evil nice'?

Shame, I rather like the idea of pointy-eared androgynous woodland
folk fetching my search results. Machine Elves?

Ian.

--
Ian Beckwith - ianb at erislabs.net - http://erislabs.net/ianb/
GPG fingerprint: AF6C C0F1 1E74 424B BCD5  4814 40EC C154 A8BA C1EA