[Surfraw-devel] Disabling/removing the genpkg elvi

James Rowe jnrowe at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 10:45:33 UTC 2010

* Ian Beckwith (ianb at erislabs.net) wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 04:40:31PM +0000, James Rowe wrote:
> >   There has been an open bug in the Gentoo bugzilla for 18 months
> > now[1], because the rewritten packages.gentoo.org site doesn't support
> > search.  If you look at the bug you'll see I recommended a couple of
> > possible solutions, including removing the genpkg elvi and waiting for
> > the search functionality to be re-implemented[2].
>
> I'm slightly confused, although the search box on the left just goes
> via google, 'genpkg surfraw' does appear to produce a useful page.
> Have they fixed this since you wrote?

  It works for the "genpkg surfraw" example because it is a full package
name match.  It won't work with "genpkg nvidia" or "genpkg surf", you'll
just be silently redirected to the front page.  genportage will show you
a list of possible partial matches, as you'd probably expect from using
other sites such as packages.debian.org.

  Searches using a full "category/package" term also won't work because
of the argument escaping, and that was the original bug report.  That
part is clearly fixable, but it still provides less functionality than
the genportage replacement.

> Anyway, I'll leave it up to you, if you want me to remove it I will.

  I think it should be removed.

> >   My question is: How should that be handled?  Just dump it, or possibly
> > make genpkg call genportage, or call genportage with a warning that the
> > wrapper is disappearing, or ...?
>
> In the past I've just removed elvi and put a note in NEWS, but if you
> want to provide a genportage wrapper I'm happy with that too.

  Given more thought I think a wrapper could make things much more
confusing in the long term.  If packages.gentoo.org received an update
and adding a new genpkg elvi became an option, what would happen at that
point?

  I've attached a patch which I believe makes the necessary changes, but
I'm not sure enough to push it myself :)

Thanks,

James