[Surfraw-devel] surfraw "yahoo" elvi generates error after Firefox update

Arkady Andrukonis grazingcows at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 21 06:35:48 UTC 2010

Hi Folks,

I've tried to track down the source of the bug, but have not had much luck. I've upgraded Firefox-3.6.10 to Firefox3.6.11 from the repositories for Linux Mint 8 (Helena) following the usual update mechanism (apt-get update && etc). My personal preferences .surfraw.conf have only the
following lines

SURFRAW_text_browser=/usr/bin/elinks

SURFRAW_graphical=yes

#override graphical browser settings here
SURFRAW_graphical_browser=/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.11/firefox

The problem I am having is using 'yahoo' elvi

#> sr yahoo "4,500 year old tomb found"

redirects me to

http://search.yahoo.com/search/dir?ei=UTF-8&p=%224%2C500+year+old+tomb+found%22&n=30&h=c

# I am getting a spurious "dir" insertion instead of the actual result query for '4,500 year old tomb found' when using the yahoo search 'bar'

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=4%2C500+year+old+tomb+found&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-892

I have disabled ALL firefox plugins. I am getting the same
error with both Opera and Galeon browsers

#> sr -browser=opera yahoo "4,500 year old tomb found"
#> sr -browser=galeon yahoo "4,500 year old tomb found"

The variable 'escaped_args=`w3_url_of_arg sw3_arg` inserts
p=${escaped_args}&d=y&o=i&g=0&n ... and I am "opinionated" to suspect the segment "&d" might be to blame.

Is there another "magic string" that we can try?

With kind regards,

kadee