[Teammetrics-discuss] Please exclude known robots posting to our list

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Aug 24 11:59:26 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 04:46:34PM +0530, Sukhbir Singh wrote:
> > 'Cron Daemon'
> > 'samba-bugs at samba.org'
> > 'BugScan reporter'
> > 'bts-link-upstream'
> > 'Debian Archive Maintenance'
> > 'Debian BTS'
> > 'Debian External Health System'
>
> If you see updatenames.py , lines 104 and 177, we are already removing
> the bots from the database and logging this information. Though I will
> add the ones you mentioned again.

Ahhhh, this explains why some of my list are just missing which made me
a bit curious.  I just forgot updatenames.py.

> >   'akavanagh at icr.ac.uk'  <akavanagh at icr.ac.uk>
>
> Is this really a spammer? :) ICR is the Institute of Cancer Research in UK.

What would you call those mails at

   http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-med-packaging/2010-February/author.html

from author 'akavanagh at icr.ac.uk' ?

At this time this author became relevant in the statistics - perhaps
today it is not any more...  But perhaps we just ignore this for the
moment because we now have other more frequent posters ...

> As far as the exception thing is concerned (line number), I am
> investigating the best way of doing it because it seems interesting.

It is always an interesting thing to

    SELECT name, email_addr, subject from listarchives;

and watch out for thing which are just "strange".  For instance a quick shot
can be done via

    SELECT name, email_addr, subject from listarchives where length(name) > 30;

and you immediately see further spam (mixed with valid postings).  It might
also be a good idea to inspect the log files on blends.d.n.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de