[Teammetrics-discuss] Debian Teams Activity Metrics - Report III

Sukhbir Singh sukhbir.in at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 18:16:20 UTC 2011

Hi!

This is the third report for the project 'Debian Teams Activity Metrics'.

# Work which was 'to be done' in the last report:

- completing the implementation of the spam 'filter' --- done.
We have a very simple spam _filter_ but it works perfectly for our
purpose and is very easy to call and manage.

- handling the numerous encoding problems -- done.
This has been handled and the rare exceptions to this are the errors
resulting out of spam, so we don't need to worry.

- handling multiple names -- done.
liststat now handles multiple names. So if you were posting under two
users, John Doe and johndoe-guest, we treat you as John Doe only. Not
only that, it's as easy as entering the multiple names in our script.

- parsing commit data from repositories -- almost implemented, to
finalize just need to add a single function.
The implementation is ready, it just needs to be called.

- lists on lists.debian.org -- in progress.
The only problem we faced during this was that we could not get the
mbox archives for lists.debian.org. But now we have found a workaround
for this and started implementing it. We will be getting the list over
NNTP and then parsing it.

# Other changes:

- lots of the code has been revamped.
- new metrics added to the list archive parser.
- we have started working on a Debian package for this project to make
installation easier.

# In the coming weeks we will:

- finalize the repository parsing and lists.debian.org
- implement fetching data from UDD.
- have fun at DebConf :-).

Our deadline for all this July 20th; this is because we will be
presenting our findings at DebConf and would present data gathered
from all the metrics. Though our focus is on the quality of the data
we have analyzed till now but we are aiming for overall perfection.

# Assessment:

The output these two weeks could have been slightly better if we could
have resolved the lists.debian.org parsing issue with maintainers. But
then, we have prototypes ready for all metrics so it should not be a
problem and this balances the work output. Our above deadline holds
true irrespective of this.

# Statistics:

Statistics are an awesome way of showing that the output is correct
from the project and that we have been busy:

For the public teammetrics-discuss mailing list, we have exchanged 143
messages and Andreas, Scott and myself have written a total of 142970
characters in 3180 lines :-).

# End notes:

Thank you to Andreas and Scott for their contribution and their patience.

Our project is at: [0] and public mailing list is at: [1]. Please feel
free to suggest and contribute your ideas to the project, as always.

--
Sukhbir Singh.

[0] - https://alioth.debian.org/projects/teammetrics/
[1] - http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/teammetrics-discuss/