[Teammetrics-discuss] Help with Git statistics

Charles Plessy plessy at debian.org
Thu Jul 21 00:07:13 UTC 2011

Le Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 06:21:42PM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> So my question to the experts is:  Do you see any better way to separate
> the commits which are concerning debian/ from those in the upstream code?

Hi all,

I am not expert, so I can confirm that I have the same problem as you, without
a solution.

We have two types of source packages managed with Git:

 - Based on imported upstream archives: there, upstream changes are merged as
   one commit, in the name of the developer who ran ‘git-import-orig’.

 - Based on upstream's git repository: there, upstream changes are merged as
   all the commits made upstream between two versions.  Our commit hooks are
   not well suited to this and it generates a lot of emails, giving the impression
   that the upstream authors participate to the packaging.

There must be a way to distinguish them, as some tools manage.  For instance,
in a clone of ‘git://git.debian.org/git/debian-med/filo.git’, the command ‘gitk
--all’ shows that the upstream commits that were merged in the debian branch
are sill identified as upstream commits.

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,