[Teammetrics-discuss] Progress Report

Vipin Nair swvist at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 21:29:25 UTC 2012

Hi Andreas/Sukhbir,

Major changes in the project now. Django was getting in my way quiet
often and slowing me down. It could be due to my lack of experience
but I did not want to drag this on. I got irritated and switched the
web framework from Django to Flask and the transition was smooth.
Sorry for the surprise but I am much more comfortable using Flask and
I want to get this done quick. This is not one step backward. It is
one step forward.

I wasn't relying much on Django's in built in functionality and the
existing code was written in the most generic and framework agnostic
way possible, so the framework switch was comfortable. The only major
change was URL routing.

In past two days, I have moved the entire API and HTML version to
flask. The tests haven't been moved to accommodate changes due to
Flask yet. The code seems to be stable without any major bugs.

There have been improvements over the API since the Django version.
The JS version of the site is yet to be added but I expect to move
that and the unit tests to flask in a day or two. We can deploy this
real soon now :D

Some basic validations are missing, which will added soon so that we
can minimize 404's and 500's. I have successfully deployed it on my
local Apache with mod_wsgi and I am quiet sure I will be able to get
this running on blends machine.

The Flask version that I have used is the one available on Squeeze so
I do not see any compatibility issues either.

Andreas, could you please install python-flask on blends machine so
that I can test this on that?

I pulled down the latest master and started a new branch from there
(web-flask). The latest code is pushed to alioth and github and a
local copy is also available on the blends machine.

--
Regards,
Vipin Nair