[Teammetrics-discuss] Idea for improving performance.

Vipin Nair swvist at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 07:04:14 UTC 2012

Hi Andreas,

> This sounds like a detour.  I'd rather suggest to use the *same*
> database and do the selects that are creating the text files insert the
> data stright into an aggregation table.

Ok. This is definitely better than what we are currently doing.

> You could also enhance the upload_history.py script to rather inject the
> data into this table instead of creating *.txt + graph.  This could be
> triggered using a command line switch.

Yup. Got it :)

> Well, if we would have this aggregation table the effort is reduced to a
> pretty simple select.  IMHO PostgreSQL is not *that* slow to not bear
> the load.  Using another new technique to win some microseconds does not
> seem a sensible strategy to me.

Yeah. Considering cost to benefit ratio, this is not worth investing
the time. Thanks for pointing it out. I often fall in the premature
optimization trap.  A aggregate table should be fine.

> The idea is good in principle but the solution is overengineering.  Just
> create an aggregation table and just fill it straight after the data
> import.  The web interface could do simple selects from this table.

Yup. This sounds more sensible to me now :) Thanks for the advice.

--
Regards,
Vipin Nair