[Teammetrics-discuss] GsoC Project Weekly Report 1

Vipin Nair swvist at gmail.com
Sat May 12 23:27:01 UTC 2012

Hi,

This is the first weekly report that I am submitting to the mailing
list. I request the mentors to have a look and critique it.

The following things have been done this week as part of the project.
Most of them were me learning/experimenting with the libraries that
might come in handy for the project in coding period. I have only
looked into the Data Visualization aspect of the project as of now, as
it is the part I am least experienced with.

Data Visualization work.

1) I was working on the D3[1] library to produce some visualizations.
I have so far implemented a basic bar chart and line chart using D3
after spending a lot of time. D3 supports visualization with pixel
level precision and is very powerful for custom visualizations. D3
also has a very steep learning curve and took most of my working time
this week. I am getting the hang of it and could possibly use this
library for data visualization. I will soon write a blog where I
intend to illustrate my work so that you can have a look. D3 requires
a good knowledge of SVG, hence I was also reading the SVG primer[2]
and trying out basic SVG illustrations.

2) I also had a look into the jqPlot[3] library for graph
visualization. It is pretty straight forward and can be used without
much effort but any customization, if required, will be quiet
difficult so I personally prefer D3 over this library.

Other work not directly related to the project.

1) I have published a blog, which is available in planet.d.o now :)
2) Finished all GSoC submissions as required.
3) I had a look into the database after getting access to the
blends.d.n system. I did not work on this much, and have kept this for
next week.
4) I have sent a mail to the debian-services-admin list in addition to
the DSA list so that a web framework could be fixed for this project.

Planned work for the coming week.

1) Follow up on the mails sent to the DSA and debian-services-admin
list regarding the web framework and fix one as soon as possible.
2) Master the D3 library :)
3) Study the database and analyze the data that needs to be presented.
4) Familiarize myself with the web framework, once it has been fixed.
5) Finish writing the blog and present the visualizations.
6) Continue the work on unit testing that I had began some time earlier.

Analysis of the work done this week.

1) Work has progressed at a slower pace than what I would have liked
and I will speed up things from next week. I have not properly managed
my time this week and to avoid such a thing in coming weeks, I will
make a proper work schedule today and stick to it.

2) No tangible output of the work has been linked with this report and
I will ensure that all future report will include some proof
(code/output ) of the work done.

3) Unlike the work done this week, I should confirm with the mentors
before starting any work so that individual tasks can be prioritized
and the time spent on the project can be better utilized.

I kindly request the mentors to go through the report and give your
valuable suggestions. I have added a brief analysis myself but there
is possibility that I might have overlooked something, If so please
add to it. The work planned for next week is tentative and if you feel
I should be working on something else, do inform me. I am open to any
sort of criticism, as it helps me understand what I have done wrong
and if possible, rectify it and ensure that I do not repeat it again.

Thank you.