[tryton-debian] Current best practices for packaging small modules for Node.js

Mathias Behrle mbehrle at debian.org
Fri Jul 15 11:34:09 UTC 2016

On my way to package tryton-sao, the JavaScript web client for Tryton[1], I am
currently stuck with the dependency chain of some Node.js submodules.

A cutout of the chain in question is:

tryton-sao
 - [node-]po2json
  - [node-]nomnom
   - [node-]chalk
    ├─ ansi-styles
    ├─ escape-string-regexp
    ├─ has-ansi
    ├─ strip-ansi
    	└─ ansi-regex
    └─ supports-color
	└─ has-flag

There is basically an ITP for chalk[2] leading to
[Pkg-javascript-devel] Small binary packages[3]
as well as
[Pkg-javascript-devel] Small Node.js packages in NEW[4][5]
saying finally, that binaries < 5K shouldn't enter the archive.

To summarize the current situation for the dependency tree
depicted above we have in the archive:
node-has-flag
node-strip-ansi

AFAIU the solution at the time being is to provide the small missing snippets
as patches for inclusion into the tarball (until evtl. some sort of
nodejs-modules will be created to bundle various small modules)(deducted from
[6]).

Before proceeding further I would like to get an ACK from the side of
pkg-javascript-devel (that this is the way to go) as well as from ftpmasters, if
such a package will be allowed to enter the archive.

Thanks to all for your input,
Mathias

[1] http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/tryton/tryton-sao.git/
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=753410
[3]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-javascript-devel/2015-April/010242.html
[4]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-javascript-devel/2015-June/010692.html
[5]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-javascript-devel/2015-July/010810.html
[6]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-javascript-devel/2015-June/010700.html

--

    Mathias Behrle
    PGP/GnuPG key availabable from any keyserver, ID: 0x8405BBF6