[tryton-debian] Namespace conflict for python-magic

Mathias Behrle mbehrle at debian.org
Tue Sep 5 11:00:17 UTC 2017

* Christoph Biedl: " Re: Namespace conflict for python-magic" (Mon, 4 Sep 2017
  19:38:56 +0200):

> Mathias Behrle wrote...
>
> > Current python(3)-magic in Debian is built from source package 'file'[0].
> (...)
> > OTOH the package providing python-magic on PyPi[3] is provided by another
> > Upstream[4].
>
> ... and I assume the APIs are not identical?

Indeed.

> > The cleanest solution for me would look like
> > - package file in Debian should provide python(3)-file-magic
> > - python-magic should be the package name corresponding to the PyPi package
> >   python-magic[4]
>
> This would result in users of the current python-magic (from file) would
> be forced into the other one. Unless we (as in Debian) can guarantee
> this will work in each and every use case, I fail to see why this should
> be considered a clean solution.

When saying clean solution I talked about the solution inside Debian.

I think it could be made to work, but the result doesn't justify the effort and
still wouldn't solve the conflicting namespace.

> The cleanest solution indeed was to bring both upstreams together and
> ask them to reconcile the APIs and eventually make one of the both
> implementations obsolete. As things happen such an attempt was started
> two years ago but appearently never came to a result.[1]

Agreed, that this would be the cleanest solution, but as you say there is
little probability, that the two upstreams will work together to merge their
implementations.

> Trying to address this conflict in Debian is always only second best. If
> this is the only feasible way, it still should leave a choice to users
> so they can install the implementation of their own preference. Co-
> installability of both package was certainly nice-to-have but will
> probably impossible for technical reasons.

It is indeed an ugly mess. For me both packages must be co-installable, because
the relative rdepends must be usable at the same time.

Reading through the issues of python-magic (as on PyPi) the problem of course
dates from the very beginning[2], spans multiple issues[3] with currently still
open this one[4].

So finally I am still quite undetermined what to do to get the actual release
of relatorio packaged[5] (it will be needed for the next release of Tryton). For
now there is only one usage of python-magic[6], so probably best to patch
relatorio for now to use file-magic...

> [1] The file mailing list server is currently down, so I cannot provide
>     URLs. The Message-IDs are
>     <CAJTao09xATQYZ3qR-4CR+oOrrqB_W=kYUJV8esOe4b3bdA5nwA at mail.gmail.com>
>     <20151020133008.9B79517FDAB at rebar.astron.com>

Still down:(, If you could provide some content for me that would be nice.

Cheers,
Mathias

[2] https://github.com/ahupp/python-magic/issues/21
[3] https://github.com/ahupp/python-magic/issues/57
    https://github.com/LibreTime/libretime/issues/166
[4] https://github.com/ahupp/python-magic/issues/33
[5] http://hg.tryton.org/relatorio/file/tip/setup.py

--

    Mathias Behrle
    PGP/GnuPG key availabable from any keyserver, ID: 0xD6D09BE48405BBF6