[tryton-debian] Future of the Tryton suite in Debian

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Mon Apr 9 14:27:04 UTC 2018

Hello Mathias,

On Thu, 05 Apr 2018, Mathias Behrle wrote:
> I don't plan to continue the maintenance of the Tryton suite in my *free* time.

:-(

> The current evaluation of the situation shows unfortunately a different result:
> - After years of continued discussions and confrontations I have to realize,
>   that the Tryton project still doesn't meet my least expectations of a real
>   community project.

Can you elaborate? My own experience is limited and I have the feeling
that it's largely operated by Cédric Krier acting like a benevolent
dictator for life. But still it's much better than any other similar
project in this scope that I know of. I have been able to contribute my
changes and I even got commit rights on a module (account_fr).

>   Furthermore the work of maintaining Tryton in Debian is
>   quite low valued in Tryton.

But it is highly valued here in Debian and by the many tryton users out
there.

>   Constitutional questions and differing opinions
>   are mostly considered annoying. There is a clear tendance to prefer exclusive
>   instead of inclusive behavior (which e.g. recently led due to poor and
>   repudiative communication to the removal of the OpenSUSE packages from the
>   website).

Again, can you elaborate and be more specific?

> - The benefit of Tryton in Debian main is quite limited for our users. To get
>   a sustainable solution it is mostly better to use the backports at
>   debian.tryton.org. Thus the packages in main are indeed a very good base to
>   start the backports from, but they are not really the best alternative for
>   everyday use.

I am mainly using your backports, yes.

Cheers,
--