[tryton-debian] Future of the Tryton suite in Debian

Mathias Behrle mbehrle at debian.org
Sat Apr 14 23:00:58 BST 2018

* Nicolas Évrard: " Re: [tryton-debian] Future of the Tryton suite in
  Debian" (Wed, 11 Apr 2018 11:46:51 +0200):

Hello Nicolas,

> * Mathias Behrle  [2018-04-09 18:42 +0200]:
> >* Raphael Hertzog: " Re: Future of the Tryton suite in Debian" (Mon, 9 Apr
> >2018
> >  16:27:04 +0200):
> >
> >Hello Raphael,
>
> Hello Mathias,
>
> I came here wondering if people had stepped up to propose themselves
> to maintain the packages.

I got one request so far per PM to evtl. support financially the packaging
work. We will see if others join as well.

> One of my goal was also to get to know how I could maybe help in this
> project (do some NMU, I don't know).

It seems to me that you are under-estimating the work load of maintaining the
packages in Debian *and* doing the backports (the backports being quite
essential to provide a reasonable usage).
If you want to take part in the packaging efforts it would be wise to get
familiar first with the procedures in Debian and the preliminaries of NMUs.

> I realize now that it might not be a good idea as it could be seen as
> yet another way in which B2CK is controlling Tryton.

This is Debian, not Tryton. B2CK will not be able to control Debian, I think;).

> >> My own experience is limited and I have the feeling
> >> that it's largely operated by C?dric Krier acting like a benevolent
> >> dictator for life.
> >
> >Indeed the project is operated by B2CK, a two person company. One of
> >them being the leader in SABDFL style (Cédric Krier), the other being
> >the head of the Tryton foundation (Nicolas Evrard).
>
> I am indeed the head of the foundation, much against my will I have to
> say.
>
> Nobody wanted to be the president and as the foundation is a Belgian
> entity I thought that I might as well be the president (in fact I
> wanted to quit the foundation but with the same reasoning we (Cédric
> and I) thought that there should be one of us to be there for
> administrative related tasks).
>
> >While the project is claimed to be a community project, it is setup
> >in narrow confines to suit the needs of the de-facto editors B2CK.
> >That said you will search in vain for some sort of public and
> >transparent project governance. As a direct consequence the project
> >loses a lot of potential contributors.
>
> As member of the board I would be interested to understand what you
> mean by 'transparent project governance'. On which level?

Important note from my side:
This list is definitely not the place to discuss Tryton internals and thus I
won't step in here. The mail you followed up to was just an explanation to the
questions of Raphael, not the starting point for discussions OT on this list
and OT generally in Debian.

The following link collection of e.g. the Apache project may possibly help to
identify the levels.

https://apache.org/index.html
https://apache.org/foundation/policies/conduct.html
https://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html
http://www.apache.org/foundation/governance/
https://mesos.apache.org/documentation/latest/effective-code-reviewing/
https://blog.codinghorror.com/the-ten-commandments-of-egoless-programming/

--

    Mathias Behrle ✧ Debian Developer
    PGP/GnuPG key availabable from any keyserver, ID: 0xD6D09BE48405BBF6