[tryton-debian] Future of the Tryton suite in Debian
Mathias Behrle
m9s at mailbox.org
Tue Sep 22 09:27:19 BST 2026
Hi fellow developers,
as I am getting older, I have to gradually reduce my involvement with Debian.
With that in mind, I want to ensure that the packages I maintain are handled
appropriately.
All packages in the Tryton suite and some of its Python dependencies are
maintained by the Tryton Maintainers team [1][2], of which I am currently the
sole member.
Current Status
==============
Debian unstable, testing, and stable currently have Tryton LTS series 7.0,
which will be phased out during the lifecycle of forky. The current Tryton LTS
is 8.0, which would be the right candidate for forky.
My plans
========
The first step is to look for one or more successors, which is what I’m doing
with this email. If someone steps up, it’s entirely up to them to take over. In
that case, I can still help with migrating the packages to Tryton series 8.0
or whatever if desired.
If no one steps up, I plan to take the following course of action:
- I will remove the Tryton packages from testing in a timely manner before the
forky release. For the other Python dependencies, I would look for
maintainers from the Python team in this case.
- I will then maintain the Tryton packages for as long as possible in stable
and older releases to address security issues.
- I will phase out the mirror I am maintaining for Debian Tryton packages that
follow the regular bugfix releases from tryton.org which do not make their
way into Debian stable [3]. Additionally, it provides backports of the
supported Tryton LTS series for the applicable Debian releases. If someone
wants to take over that service as well, that is of course also very possible.
- The final step will be, at some point in the future, to orphan the Tryton
packages.
That said, anyone who wants to help is welcome to respond here, on the Tryton
Maintainers mailing list [4][5], or send me an email.
Cheers,
Mathias
[1] https://salsa.debian.org/tryton-team
[2]
https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=team%2Btryton-team%40tracker.debian.org
[3] https://tryton-team.pages.debian.net/
[4] Tryton package maintenance in Debian <tryton-debian at lists.alioth.debian.org>
[5] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/tryton-debian/
--
Mathias Behrle
PGP/GnuPG key availabable from any keyserver, ID: 0xD6D09BE48405BBF6
AC29 7E5C 46B9 D0B6 1C71 7681 D6D0 9BE4 8405 BBF6
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 867 bytes
Desc: Digitale Signatur von OpenPGP
URL: <http://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/tryton-debian/attachments/20260922/a6a89ec1/attachment.sig>
More information about the tryton-debian
mailing list