[Tts-project] more festival voices? [Was [DH] Planning to remove deprecated commands and compat levels in debhelper]

Samuel Thibault sthibault at debian.org
Thu Nov 5 19:17:15 UTC 2015

Hello,

Paul Gevers, on Thu 05 Nov 2015 11:50:59 +0100, wrote:
> How important are these kind of voices for the accessibility community?

Having various languages is of course very welcome.

> Are the 8kHz voices still needed (looks like they may have been needed
> in the past due to hardware requirements, but I expect all hardware
> nowadays could run the 16kHz voices without any issue?

I would expect so too.

> Upstream there a lot more voices (15 additional ones to the ones we
> ship) which I expect to be of higher quality, should we package this and
> improve our defaults?

I wonder. Having several voices for the same language may be useful to
express e.g. text attributes (italic, etc.), but I don't think Orca
makes use of this.

> Does anybody have an idea how to find additional languages (except for
> just duck-duck-go-ing (the name festival doesn't help to target what I
> am looking for).

I don't know either.  Ideally festival should centralize the
information, exhorting people to advertise their voices on their central
website.

> Should this all be under the TTS umbrella?

That's probably better, for sharing maintenance with TTS-interested
people.

Samuel