[Tts-project] Splitting out the speech-dispatcher flite module into separate package.

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 8 03:29:03 UTC 2016

Hey folks.
In Ubuntu we have the flite Speech Dispatcher module split out into a separate package, since at the time it was done, we were trying to shoot for fitting into a CD footprint. This is no longer something we try to do, but so far as I know, espeak supports more languages out of the box, and is more flexible, even though some may prefer the sound of flite.

I am wondering whether we should do the same in Debian. In fact I wonder whether it makes sense for all modules other than dummy and generic to be in their own packages, because as it stands, a module gets run if no modules are specifically enabled in the config file.

Thoughts?

Luke