[Tts-project] white listing packages in contrib???

Paul Gevers elbrus at debian.org
Fri Dec 22 19:26:14 UTC 2017

Hi Philipp,

On 22-12-17 18:15, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On 12/22/2017 04:21 PM, Paul Gevers wrote:
>> On 15-12-17 10:35, Paul Gevers wrote:
>>> I recently requested two non-free packages to be white listed. However,
>>> I am now looking into speech-dispatcher-contrib, which is in contrib. I
>>> would love to avoid the manual build. Is there any way to have this
>>> package auto-build without moving it to non-free and have it white
>>> listed by you?
>>
>> I want to upload speech-dispatcher-contrib soon, because it's absence is
>> blocking migration of speech-dispatcher. Without a proper solution for
>> the current situation, I want to move the package to non-free on my next
>> upload and set the XS-Autobuild flag. Could you please whitelist
>> speech-dispatcher-contrib on your side as well?
>
> I wonder if you are operating on the assumption that everything needs to
> be autobuilt.

No.

> I accept that for speech-dispatcher-contrib this is
> useful, however it is even currently only built for amd64 and i386 which
> are easy to provide builds for for the standard DD.

Instead, this is one reason. We could build for all architectures where
svox builds.¹

¹ https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=svox&suite=sid

> The other packages
> you whitelisted were mostly arch:all which are also easy to provide
> builds for. I'd say that especially when the build is reproducible it
> isn't as important for the build to be done on a trusted system.
>
> If that doesn't change your mind, feel free to send me another note once
> you uploaded the package to NEW.

The other main reason is that I have a rather poor local setup. So I
off-load all building to debomatic (which I haven't verified enough to
trust if for uploads of binaries into Debian). I have been a fan of
source-only uploads since they are available. Every time I have one of
these packages that don't build from source in Debian, I have to
remember and figure out how to build i386 and upload those. Lot's of
manual work that is absolutely unnecessary.

So, I just uploaded speech-dispatcher-contrib to non-free, it should
appear in NEW soon.

Paul