[Tts-project] About the RHVoice package recently uploaded and the bug #1014459

zvonimirek222 at yandex.com zvonimirek222 at yandex.com
Sun Jul 24 23:40:44 BST 2022

Hi to the tts team and Samuel,

Firstly, thank you for accepting my suggestion to upgrade the package in the
Debian repositories.

I want to clarify some thinks, when it comes to licensing:

RHVoice itself is licensed under gpl v 2 or later,

The voices are distributed in binary form, without the source recordings,
because speakers, who agreed to give their voices don't agree to this.

So, we, the people who train voices for the RHVoice system have the right to
improve the voice, but we don't have the right to distribute the recordings
and dataset on the network.

The voices are for the non-commercial, free use, but not for selling to
third parties, that's why the majority of voices use creativecommons.

Even the speakers, who gave the voices for some languages expressed their
feeling against selling the voice in any form. It's intended for using for
blind people.

The only voice which falls under the non-free license category is actually
Georgian, which states this in the custom license document.

That's why it's skipped in the compilation process.

The scripts to train your voice is located in the
/rhvoice/src/scripts/general/voice-building-utils,

The whole tutorial on how to create new voice, and what's needed for this is
available at:

https://github.com/rhvoice/rhvoice/wiki

Note that, the main dev of the program, Olga Viktorovna Yakovleva is also
blind.

If there are any other mixed feelings or questions, don't hesitate to
contact.

I will be here to answer.

Zvonimir Stanecic, one of the RHVoice project contributors