[Tts-project] Speech feedback related packages

Samuel Thibault sthibault at debian.org
Sun Nov 19 20:58:04 GMT 2023

Hello,

Here rather keeping the pkg-a11y-devel list in Cc, where Debian
maintainers are, and not users :)

Igor B. Poretsky, le dim. 19 nov. 2023 11:05:46 +0300, a ecrit:
> I am looking for a sponsor for my packages. I dare to announce it here
> since accessibility is their primary application area by design.

You're welcome!

> So, these are:

These don't seem to have a git repository? It would make it way easier
to maintain that you put them on salsa, you can create yourself an
account and I can give you access to the tts-team group.

> multispeech -- Multilingual speech server for Emacspeak
> (https://mentors.debian.net/package/multispeech/)

Please mention in debian/control the upstream URL, using the Homepage
field in debian/control. And also use Vcs-Browser and Vcs-Git to
designate the debian branch.  You'll want a sid branch that contains the
current unstable/testing version.

The libmultispeech5 package should have Section: libs

The multispeech packages recommend espeak and espeak-data, that should
really be espeak-ng and espeak-ng-data, since the original espeak is
unmaintained.

debian/sd-multispeech.postinst:

        . /etc/default/speech-dispatcher
        if [ "x$RUN" != "xyes" ] ; then
            kill $SPD

This seems dangerous to kill speech dispatcher like this. Some people
may rely on it running to get computer access. It is already a bit
odd for the sd-multispeech package to restart speechd (but I understand
why), but killing without restarting seems like a no-go to me.

> freespeech -- English text preprocessor for Mbrola TTS
> (https://mentors.debian.net/package/freespeech/)

Similarly, please add upstream URL and packaging URLs.

Actually, is there still an upstream for this? If not, you probably want
to re-create one, and apply your patches in it. We don't want to make
debian the only owner of these patches, and rather see this go out in
the wild so people can include it into other distributions and
contribute patches as well.

> ru-tts -- Extremely compact and portable software Russian TTS engine
> (https://mentors.debian.net/package/ru-tts/)

Similarly, please add upstream URL and packaging URLs.

debian/librutts-dev.install: we don't want to install .la files.

debian/rules: it seems to me you can rewrite it something like a mere:

%:
	dh $@

override_dh_auto_configure:
	:

override_dh_auto_build:
	$(MAKE) -C ...

override_dh_auto_clean:
	$(MAKE) -C ...

override_dh_auto_install:
	$(MAKE) -C ...

> rulex -- Pronunciation dictionary for Russian TTS engine
> (https://mentors.debian.net/package/rulex/)

Similarly, please add upstream URL and packaging URLs.

debian/librulexdb-dev.install: we don't want to install .la files.

debian/rules: Similarly, you can probably rewrite using just a few
override_* rules (note that there are override_dh_auto_build-arch,
override_dh_auto_build-indep, override_dh_auto_install-indep, and
override_dh_auto_install-arch targets)

Also, in general you'd want to push the manual pages to upstream rather
than keeping them in debian/

Samuel