[Tux4kids-discuss] Toddlers on computers

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Feb 9 20:36:47 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 04:43:15PM -0800, brian schofield wrote:
>    Thanks for the feedback on toddlers on computers.
>    I was thinking more on the lines of the stamps facility in Tuxpaint. Each
>    keystroke would produce a sound and picture.
>    Molly loves to copy her older brother but she is far to young to recognize
>    which keys she is hitting so jams up regularly.
>    With another grandchild close to the same stage, a much simplified version
>    of Tuxpaint would be most useful. As a pre-educational resource, it would
>    be invaluable.

Hi Brian - It sounds like what you're looking for is a "keybanger" application
for young kids.  Something where the child hits keys, and things happen
on the screen in response.  Some examples I've seen are "Alphababy" for Mac
and "Bambam" for Linux.

This kind of functionality is outside the scope of Tux Paint -- although I can
see how Tux Paint's stamp collection (including its sound effects and
descriptive sounds) could be used as the basis for such an app.

What I normally do with Tux Paint with my toddler son (just turned 3 back in
December) is either (1) give him the mouse, and let him try to use the
stamps, brushes or magic tools, or (2) give him the keyboard and let him
use the Text tool.

If tablet screens (like my wife's IBM X-41) were cheaper and more robust,
that would be perfect for an app like Tux Paint.  (It's hard to draw with
a mouse when you're still figuring out crayons and pens.  My son finally
upgraded from scribbles to polygons (including Pac-Man... so proud!),
has been praciticing spirals, and just figured out a "lion" (body, head,
four legs, a tail, an eye, and 'teeth').)

In the meantime, I've got this big, robust, kid-freindly drawing tablet,
but it comes with Windows-only software, and I haven't figured out how
to get X-Window or Tux Paint to understand the language it speaks over
USB. :^(

--
-bill!
Sent from my computer