[Tux4kids-discuss] Tux4Kids domain names

Sam Hart hartsn at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 18:44:21 UTC 2010

Hey everyone, long time no see :-)

Unfortunately, it's that time again, and I'm looking to see if
*anyone* who is currently more active on the project than I am is
willing to take over the various Tux4Kids related domain names from me
so that Tux4Kids doesn't run the risk of losing them.

For those who *may* not be familiar with the history of the project, I
started Tux4Kids in 1997, but transferred leadership of the project in
2005 and haven't contributed any code since. My only contribution
since leaving the project has been to maintain several domain names.
However, I feel it has come time to let someone else more active on
the project maintain them (there's a variety of reasons for this, if
anyone is curious, feel free to email me privately).

The most pressing domains, along with expiration dates, are as follows:
* tuxtype.com - 1/30/2010
* tuxtype.net - 1/30/2010
* tuxtype.org - 1/31/2010

Obviously, these expire this month, and now would be the ideal time to
transfer ownership of them to someone else.

The main Tux4Kids domains have the following expiration dates:
* tux4kids.com - 12/15/2013
* tux4kids.net - 8/19/2010

Tux4kids.com wont expire until 2013 (thanks to a generous contribution
several years ago from Calvin Arndt, IIRC), so, obviously, the only
reason to transfer ownership of it would be to ensure that its DNS
entries remain current. Tux4kids.net is a tiny bit more pressing as it
will expire in August of this year.

My personal preference is that some parent or controlling body (such
as SPI, if Tux4Kids is still affiliated with them) would wind up
owning these domains as that would ensure they'd not be lost in the
future. I'd also *love* to see the domains utilized more (back in my
day, all the Tux4Kids mailing lists went through the @tux4kids.net
domain :-) But, really, whatever the current project leadership
thought was right would work for me.