[Tux4kids-discuss] GSOC 2010

Brendan Luchen cheezmeister at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 04:53:10 UTC 2010

Hi Deepak,

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:03 PM, deepak aggarwal
<deepak.aggarwal9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> I understand that it require a lot of time for development for a new
> project. After going through the project ideas I saw that there is no
> support for multithreading on server side when we play it on LAN.  Therefore
> I am interested in developing support for multithreading.
> Want to know which language they used for server side programming.

I'm pretty sure the server is in C as well. I will let those
developers (David Bruce and Akash Gangil) speak up, but I don't know
whether that would be immediately helpful to the network game, as
there are plenty of other things to fix first. It will be nice to
eventually have a threaded server, of course.

> I am also interested in that our mentors are interested in moving entire
> thing to java platform as this will greatly reduce development time for a
> specific platform. Can you tell me more about it.

What about it? You tell us! Please realize that moving to Java
basically means rewriting everything from the ground up. Thus, it
would probably slow down development by an order of magnitude. Plus,
there's nothing quite as portable as C--not even Java :)

> Please reply soon. As I want to start working on as soon as possible.

Thanks for your interest!

Hope this helps,
Brendan