[Tux4kids-discuss] [Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] GSOC 2010~submission of an Admin program patch + Discussion of ideas

Michał Świtakowski tux4kids at switakowski.com
Tue Mar 30 17:04:45 UTC 2010

---- On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 17:49:29 +0200 satyarth sharma <sharma.satyarth at gmail.com> wrote ----
>As you might know that the ribbon is a technology partially patented by the MS(microsoft license). There is no Qt class that provides widgets as of now to implement the ribbon.However there was some talk by a guy Wang hoi about a project that that he wishes to start in this regard and he provided sample pics of how the ui should look.Though he didn't go any further with the project but i want to model on the same lines.Please take a look :

So, is ribbon compatible with GPL 3? Could you investigate it? We can't accept stuff incompatible with GPL.

>Also the VTK designer's implements it's menu strip in a ribbon like format.It is made in Qt and I am going through it's UI source at the moment.

Oh, it's good to know there's ribbon in some Qt4 project.

>Also we can iconify the various menu's and tabs.We can work on showing help popups by an animated clippit when the mouse hovers over a widget or button if the help mode is activated.Qt's animation framework with classes including Qt abstract animation class, Qt event transition class, Qt transtion class, history and final state classes, etc. The animated widget would be deactivated until someone activates the help mode.Then the widget animates and pops help bubbles when the mouse is hovered over any icon or when help text is typed in the search lineedit of the widget. As you can see this makes for a better intuitive experience.The ribbon as you already know is definitely better at fluency of the work.

This all sound interesting, but I would like you to concentrate more on backend and basic GUI.
I don't mean it shouldn't be intuitive, but devoid of animations, transitions etc.
Animated pops may be implemented as a bonus.
Please have a look at tuxtype and tuxmath features. Think how could they integrate with admin tool.
What should the teacher be able to control? How would it be implemented?

>I have a ubuntu karmic 9.10 with gnome and kde( I worked and tested your app in gnome), linux kernel : 2.6.31, @2*2.00 gigs intel core 2 duo.The bug i encountered was the one where after unloading either of the tuxtype or tuxmath when i closed the dialog box the whole ui crashed and the program shut itself.This renders us unable to unload tuxmath or the tuxtype plugin at any time.

Thanks. I'll have a look on that.

>An official application proposal is due along with another patch in the pipeline.Hoping to complete them soon.

You don't need to prepare a second patch for admin tool, but if you want to submit an application related to
tuxmath or tuxtype an appropriate patch is necessary.

Regards,
Michał