[Tux4kids-discuss] Tuxmaths Options

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 09:36:07 UTC 2011

Hi William,

> On a Windows XP or Windows 2000 system, the config file is called
> "options.txt" and is located at C:\Documents And
> Settings\USER\Application Data\TuxMath\options.txt, where USER is the
> login of the current user. Note that 'Application Data' is hidden by
> default by the operating system.
>
> I have opened up the
> C:\Documents And Settings\USER\Application Data\TuxMath
>
> In the TuxMath folder there is no options.txt
> The only options file that is in that folder is options.cfg    ( file
> attached)
>
> Is the options.txt in the Setting Game Options for an older version of
> TuxMath or should in be options.cfg ?
>
> How do I edit the options file to create a "Custom" game.
> There does not seem a lot of information to create a Custom Game in Windows
> XP.

In that build, the file was indeed called "options.cfg" - the README
was wrong.  For 2.0.0 and later, the options/lessons files really do
end in ".txt" on windows (on other platforms, no extension is used).

Irrespective of file name, it is a plain ASCII text file that can be
edited with any text editor, e.g. Notepad on windows.  However, prior
to 2.0.0, the files still have Unix-format line endings, meaning it
will look like a single extremely long line in Notepad.  More
sophisticated text editors (e.g. Vim) will recognize the Unix format
and display it correctly.  That format discrepancy is also fixed in
the 2.x.x series - in the windows package, all the text files have the
windows-friendly format.

Short answer - wait for the 2.0.2 release today, then you can use
Notepad to edit that file, which is well-commented, and then play your
custom game by choosing "Play Custom Game" from the menu.

Thanks,

David Bruce