[Tux4kids-discuss] [Tuxmath-devel] Question regarding server

Aviral Dasgupta aviraldg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 17:35:03 UTC 2011

On 27 January 2011 22:33, David Bruce <davidstuartbruce at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Deepak
>
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 10:15 AM, deepak.aggarwal9 at gmail.com
> <deepak.aggarwal9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> > I am working on common library for tux4kids and have found way so that
> > servers can communicate.
> > I want to know which information is to be sync.between server except
> scores
> > or student and I also want implement a facility so that performance
> report
> > of students can be generate.
> > Can some one help me regarding this thing.
>
> I'm not so sure what you are working on - I'm getting the idea that
> your work is more along the lines of our unfinished t4k-admin project,
> rather than the server for the tuxmath LAN game specifically, which is
> what I thought you meant in your earlier post.
>
> For the last two summers we have had a GSoC project to make a
> comprehensive administration tool for tuxmath and tuxtype using the
> Qt4 gui toolkit.  The idea is to make the programs "enterprise-ready"
> so to speak for teachers and schools.  A lot of code has been written
> but we've not had any package releases.  The git repository for
> t4k-admin is at our alioth site, alongside our other projects.  You
> should have a look at what has been done so far in that repo.
>
> Best,
>
> David Bruce

About your first mail, I didn't quite get what you meant by "automatic
allocation of ports". IMHO, for games, there's a static server port on which
the server *listen*s for connections from clients, and once a connection is
*accept*ed, the server *send*s and *rec*ei*v*es data (on an implicitly bound
port; explicitly binding isn't necessary) per client. The reason why TuxMath
can't handle running multiple servers atm. is that MathCards (the part of
TuxMath) that generates data uses file level variables to maintain state. I
had started some work on fixing that, and it should be ready soon
(read: *sometime
in the future*)

About the "syncing" thing, things are synchronized between the server using
messages and the main "things" that are synced are:

   1. Player Names
   2. Player Scores
   3. Questions (I believe this is now Question - one at a time)

--
Regards,
Aviral