[Tux4kids-discuss] [GSoC] Tux Racing UI feedback

Kento Locatelli me at klocatelli.name
Sat Jul 28 03:08:11 UTC 2012

Good evening!

On 7/26/2012 11:19 PM, Brendan Luchen wrote:
> Hey Kento,
>
> Kento Locatelli wrote:
>> Hi Brendan,
>>
>> I agree, displaying the stars/progress wasn't well thought out, it was
>> only intended to verify the problem generators were working properly.
>> That said, I'll probably just change the star display to be fractional
>> instead of integer. Maybe rounded to 1/4 star for display on the
>> exercise page, so it's obvious when an exercise isn't at 100%.
>> However now that I've started working on the game play, I'm not to sure
>> about the whole "stars ~ correct answers" idea... originally I intended
>> on having problem solving rate be proportional to player velocity, but
>> in that scenario it's logical to tie stars to finishing position (rather
>> than % correct). That system brings up other issues though, including:
>> ensure player is answering fairly and not quickly skipping
>> hard/answering easy questions, having the NPCs compete fairly, and
>> making stars explicitly represent speed but implicitly accuracy so the
>> game is still about racing while requiring high correct % to finish
>> first. NPCs is simple if problems specify finishing times for 1st/2nd
>> position. Exercise can also specify how long the game is, how much
>> energy correct answers provide, and incorrect answers zero the energy
>> meter and have a cool-down time to prevent quickly the first issue.
>> Energy steadily depletes and the ship slows as the energy meter goes
>> down, so the player must continuously answer questions correctly. In
>> practice I'm not sure how well that solves the 3rd issue though... does
>> anyone else believe 100% correct answers should be required for 1st
>> place?
>
> Speed vs. accuracy, always a fun one. I can see two main approaches:
> treating them as totally independent and orthogonal, or weighting
> accuracy against speed by some factor (this could perhaps be set by
> instructors).
>
> In a more general sense, we have a solid, generic question backend and
> a basic space race aesthetic. We need to nail down the specific
> gameplay mechanics that will lie on top if it. Brainstorming time!
> Catch you on IRC.
What we discussed on IRC ended up being too complex, so I simplified and
came up with something based on weighting accuracy/speed :
- Exercise set minimum correct answer rate for 1st / 2nd place
- NPCs randomly assigned one of those rates
- NPC distance to player is proportional to log(NPC rate - player rate)
* random factor. This keeps them close so the race feels more competitive

- Player ship velocity is proportional to the correct answer rate *
percent correct
- Rate and percent are over the entire game, so finishing position
represents aggregate performance
- Proportion specified by exercise, so harder exercises still have fast
races
- Time spent on incorrect answers is ignored in calculating rate, since
the correct answer has to be displayed and that would impact exercises
differently based on difficulty.
- Rate is displayed as the energy bar, percent is displayed via damage bar

- Exercise specifies time limit, infinite number of questions. So
basically the player has to maintain a certain rate/accuracy for the
duration to get a certain position

Here's a sample graph for position @ http://bit.ly/N2G2 (note: WebGL) It
plots 0...1 accuracy on the y-axis and 0...10 problem/minute on the
x-axis. 1st has a minimum weighted rate of 9, 2nd 7.

>>> Some minor UI things I noticed
>>> - "Settings and Quit" doesn't need to be a submenu.
>> I'm not sure what you mean? On Android it would make sense to hide the
>> link since we have the menu button, but I'm not sure how to avoid the
>> settings/quit menu altogether.
>
> I think I accidentally a sentence or two. I meant that typically
> "Quit" is its own option on the main menu, and doesn't fall under
> "Settings". The two options aren't totally necessary on Android, no,
> but it's nice to have if there's room. Then there's the fact that
> Settings only has one child, but I'm sure that will change :)
Oh I see, that does look awkward... Split!

>>> - Looks weird in landscape. Probably the CSS needs some massaging, or
>>> we can just force a portrait orientation, which isn't uncommon for
>>> games.
>> Which resolution are you using? For my devices portrait is the awkward
>> one, with tiny icons / text and large white space.
>
> Right you are. I had it backwards. It's been a long week.
>

>>> - No indication of the correct answer (Pere mentioned already)
>> The lines didn't show up very well on the sketch scan but the lower
>> portion of the screen dedicated to answers will flash green and chime on
>> correct, and red + error beep on incorrect.
>
> But will it tell you what the right answer was if you mess up?
Yes, probably by outlining the correct answer's box.