[Tux4kids-discuss] GSoC Game Idea (to promote open source softwares)

yash upadhyay yash256 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 07:13:03 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

While working on open source projects, and thinking how not many people
contribute to them or don't know about them, I stumbled on the idea to make
a game that teaches players about open source projects.

*Game Idea:*
I want like to propose a game in which Tux the player glides on snow and is
encountered with icebergs that have Linux commands, names of open source
organizations etc or Windows commands written on them. If it hits an
iceberg that is related to open source softwares, it gains points else it
loses points.
The game can also have a reference section of facts about Linux, its
commands etc so that users can use  it to improve their knowledge too.

I think that high school and college students will find it useful to learn
about open source softwares through the reference section.
Kindly suggest if I can work on this project or improve my idea.

Thanks,
Yash Upadhyay