[Tux4kids-discuss] GSoC project description and status update

deneche abdelhakim adeneche at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 04:50:04 UTC 2013

Hi all,

My project codename is "tux coding" and is described as follows:
The game is roughly based on lighbot
(http://www.kongregate.com/games/coolio_niato/lighbot-2-0)
The game teaches players how to program by using a fixed set of visual
commands (icons) that must be ordered in a "program" to control Tux.
The player can use functions, recursions, conditions and loops to
write the program. The challenge of the game comes from the limited
set of available commands and limited number of commands in the
program. What will be specific to tuxCoding is the use of visual
commands instead of writing code, much like what Kodu does
(research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/kodu/).

The game will be coded using Haxe+NME, it's an open technology that
supports multiple platforms (Desktop and mobile) and the Haxe language
is very similar to actionscript3.

Status Update:
In the previous weeks I started working with Haxe and installed both
Haxe and Sublime Text editor (can be used as an IDE), I was able to
build a sample project (PiratePig) that is available with Haxe, and
target various platforms: Windows Native application, MacOS native
application, Flash (.swf file), Html5,
iOS application (worked well on my iPod touch and iPad) and Android
(worked well on my Android 4.0 phone).
I will be using HaxeFlixel as my main game engine because I am already
familiar with Flixel for Flash. I already followed a HaxeFlixel
tutorial.
I am ready to work using Haxe and target all the previous platforms that I cited