[Tux4kids-discuss] Fwd: Getting started with Tux4Kids

Umang Goel umang.goel.in at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 16:20:56 UTC 2014

Hi Brendan,

What i hope to accomplish :
I was thinking to develop something on the lines of what was developed in
GSOC '13 project of mobile and visual programming game. I wanted to build
an app which would allow you to code without actually writing the code but
just with help of symbols. I also wanted to give an interface which would
be kind of interactive and user can actually see things happening as the
result of the code. It would be useful for children of age group 10-12 as
it would give them an idea of what coding is and expose them to various
aspects of programming. It would be more like a game and user would need to
come up with some programming solutions to win the game. The user would
also be able to check their code by just simply running it. The execution
of code would also be more like a visual output. It would show how each
line(or rather command) written by user is executed.
It would include all the basics constructs of any programming language like
conditional statements(if-else,switch) , loops , ,functions ,recursion
etc.I would also like to add all the object oriented programming concepts
like inheritance to it.Also I would like to introduce some data-structures
like arrays, trees, queue, stacks, heaps etc which would be required to win
the game. There would be different levels and difficulty of each level
would keep increasing.
If data structures are also added then it would not only help children of
age group 10-12 but it would also be useful for students in their
high-school or above as it would help them visualize how a program executes.

Which app would I like to work on :
This kind of app has already been started by someone as a part of GSOC '13
project. I would be applying for GSOC this year , so I would like to take
it as my GSOC  project and add to it some more functionalities mentioned
above. That was mobile game but I want to extend it to a web-based game.

Other questions :
I would like to know if that app could be extended in terms of features or
if some kinds of improvements are required. If it is the case I would be
more than happy to contribute to your organization by working on that app .
As I'm new to your Tux4Kids I would also like to know how can I start .
Looking forward for your reply.

Thanks,
Umang Goel.