[Tux4kids-discuss] GSoC '15 Introduction

Ilinca Andrei andrei.ilinca24 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 20:45:51 UTC 2015

Hello,

This is my introduction mail for attending Google Summer of Code 2015
project for Tux4Kids org. As the project itself that I'm applying for
( *Wallpaper
tool/mode like the pattern magic tool that affects the behavior of the
overall program **) *is part of Tux Paint , I will forward this mail to
both Tux4Kids and TuxPaint mailing lists.

*About me:*

 I'm Andrei, I'm a second year student at the Faculty of Automatic Control
and Computer Science at the  Polytechnic Univ of Bucharest. This GSoC is my
first opportunity to work with the open source community and I can say I'm
thrilled!

While programming is my carrer choice, math was always my passion. Since
Primary School I attended contests and got rewarded Localy ,CityWide and
National. I enjoy solving various smart mathematical problems with
applications in all areas of research.

My IRC Handle is andrei_il / andrei__il. I already introduced myself on
#tux4kids and asked for some guidance regarding Tux4Kids GSoC projects ,
especially TuxPaint in which I am interested the most.

My github is https://github.com/ailinca .

*Coding Skills:*

I'm running a Linux Mint x64 distribution on my laptop and I use it 98% of
the time. I enjoy developing C applications using gcc for compiling and gdb
for debugging. I also have a Windows 8.1 installed which I use only if I
need to work with Microsoft software products.

I have experience working with C and I enjoy coding using this language.C
was my language of choice both for academic purposes and for coding
challenges like talentbuddy <https://www.talentbuddy.co/> and codingame
<http://www.codingame.com/>. Currently, I m exploring other areas as well,
such as developing a standalone Java app that tracks how you spend money or
some simple game in C++ and Qt.

*Tux Paint:*

I choose Tux Paint because it's a really nice visual program with lots of
unique features. I have to say that I did not expect to enjoy that much a
simple drawing software for kids.  I'm very curious about how every magic
tool has been  developed and implemented and I'm more than excited to
contribute in any way to this product.

I think the "Wallpaper tool that affects the behavior of the overall
program" project is the best way to integrate into a open source
community because
it combines aspects that I enjoy ( playing ) with carrer path ( programming
). It also has been recommended to me by a dev on IRC.

*So far:*

-I cloned the git code on both my OSs
-I read everything I found about Tux Paint on its site (
<http://goog_1961972347/>http://tuxpaint.org)
-I read the documentation files
-I've spent 2 hours playing with the game

*Questions:*

If you don't mind ,I have some short questions about this project:
What OS do you recommend me to use ? I know Linux is a better place for
developing  but Windows have it's fancy IDE's like MinGW or CodeBlocks.
Maybe they help.
How should I start working?  I will need a better understanding of the
program before I get to the developing part itself. What do you recommend
me to look in first?

I will stay on IRC quite a lot, asking question and refferences. If you
have any feedback or criticism, please do, it's appreciated!

Regards,
Andrei