[Tux4kids-discuss] Tux English Proposal

Kruti Joshi licence2thrill.kiara at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 02:57:19 UTC 2015

I'm a 3rd year CSE student from Manipal Institute of Technology, India. I
wanted some feedback on my project proposal before submitting it and wanted
to discuss a few ideas. However, the assigned mentor hasn't been replying
to my emails.
Do we also have some other mentors?

My idea for Tux English is to make a web-based application for it to be
available to a wider range of audience, which is the whole idea behind
going beyond traditional desktop applications.

I wish to divide the whole project into 3 levels, which the user will be
able to choose from.

*Level: Beginner*

This level will teach children the various letters, and common objects that
begin with each letter. It will teach kids how to recognize each letter,
how to write it and how to form words.

First, there will be an introductory video introducing each letter. Through
this, the children will also learn the pronunciation of each letter. It
will also show a few objects that begin with that letter.

*Game 1: Where are they?*
A scene of a park with trees and fountains will be displayed with letters
in different colors scattered all over the park. A board on the left will
display the letter that a child has to find. This letter will be
randomized. Each time the user finds the correct letter, he will earn
points. When he manages to find all letters, the game will end.

*Game 2: Write them down*The purpose of this game is to teach the kids how
to write the letters. On the left, the letter to be written will be
displayed. On the right, a shadow of the letter will be displayed which the
user will have to trace over with the mouse.

*Game 3:What word?*
The purpose of this game will be to recognize which objects start with
which letter. A letter will be displayed on top. Below it, images of
various objects will be displayed and the user will have to choose which
object starts from the displayed letter.

*Game 4: Alphabet Soup*
In this game, an object will be displayed on top. The mission of the user
will be to spell out the object. A button on the side will pronounce the
word on click.
A group of jumbled letters will be given below the image and the user will
have to arrange the letters to spell out the word.

*Level: Intermediate*

This level will teach kids about sentence formation and rules of grammar.

As in the previous level, this level will also contain an introductory
video which will explain the various conjunctions, prepositions and their
usage.

*Game 1: This doesn't make sense!*
This game will display a bunch of jumbled sentences which the user will
have to rearrange to form meaningful ones.

*Game 2: What goes there?*
This game will be a fill-in-the-blanks game. It will contain sentences with
words which are commonly mixed up as blanks and the user will have to fill
them.
Eg: I ____ two apples.
      She _____ 4 shoes.

      The book is ___ the table.
      The wedding is ____ Hyderabad.

This will help them recognize the usage of various conjunctions and
prepositions with different tenses and nouns.

*Game 3: Are they the same?*
This will display some homonyms and the user will have to select the
meaning of each one. This will help them distinguish between the meanings
of homonyms and their usage in sentences.

*Level: Advanced*
This level will deal with increasing the vocabulary.

*Game 1: What does this mean?*
This will display a word, and 4 possible answers below it. The user will
have to select the correct meaning of the word.

*Game 2:Crossword*
This game needs no introduction. In this, the user will be asked to solve a
simple crossword puzzle which will be displayed on screen. The hints will
be displayed below it.

I have never used the Phaser library before. However, with a little help
and guidance, I am sure I will be able to pick it up fast.

Any suggestions or complaints are welcome.

--
Best Regards
Kruti Joshi