[Tux4kids-discuss] GSOC 2015 ideas

Vaidehi Thete vata695 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 10:23:59 UTC 2015

Dear developers,

I would like to work on the project "Developing Mobile Applications for
Tux4Kids. I want develop the Tux4ME games for mobile platform using
HTML/CSS/Javascript and PhoneGap. I have come up with the following ideas:

(1):Reasoning:
    1.Mental Math:
    This game improves the Math skills of children.It can be played in two
modes:
    1-Practice Mode: A simple mathematical statement will be provided with
missing numbers.They have to add the missing numbers.
    2-Game-Mode: The numbers will appear as asteriod blocks. The numbers
will then be hidden. The player has to find all numbers in ascending order.

 Another variation of this game can be as follows: A mathematical statement
in the forms of symbols and numbers will be flashed rapidly across the
screen.The player has to remember these and calculate the net result .

    2.Weight-Check:
    Find the relative weights of two objects.

    3.A number of cubes will be displayed in a particular orientation. The
player has to give the corrrect number of cubes displayed.

(2):Speed:
    1.Hammer'em all:
    This game tests the hand-eye coordination of the player. In each level,
a bunch of jack-in-the boxes are displayed. Each of them randomly springs
open after a certain time interval.The player has to click on each box in
the order in which the boxes open as fast as possible.

(3):Memory:
    1.A group of pictures will be displayed. These pictures will then be
hidden. The player has to identify the pictures which appered froma bigger
pool of pictures.

    2.A color-pattern will appear across a group of empty cells.The player
then has to recreate the entire pattern.Initially, this pattern may start
only with 2-3 blocks. As the player's score increases, the number of colors
which appear also increase.
 I have developed a mobile-application using PhoneGap and a web application
of the above game .This can be found in my github repository:
 https://github.com/Vada695/Color-Pattern-Match
<https://github.com/Vada695/Color-Pattern-Match>
https://github.com/Vada695/Color-Pattern-Match-HTML-CSS-Javascript

(4):Flexibility:
   1. Same-color,Same-shape:
   In this game, two objects will be displayed for a short while. The
player will be asked a question of the type:
     (a)Are the objects identical in shape?
     (b)Are the objects of the same color?

   The player has to correctly answer the question before the objects
change.

   Another variant of this game could be as follows:
   A group of  different objects are displayed for a  short while, after
which they are hidden. The player has to answer questions based on the
objects shown.
   (a)How many objects are of red color?
   (b)What is the color of square symbols?
   (c)How many colors are present?

(5):Attention:
   1.Find the missing puzzle-piece:
     At the beginning of each question, a picture will be displayed for a
few seconds. This will be followed by the same picture with a     piece
missing. The player has to identify the missing puzzle piece as quickly as
possible.

   2.Pair-up:
   The game arena will be flooded with multiple pictures. After a while
these pictures will be closed.The player has to identify two similar
pictures (it could be more than one pair) as quickly as possible.

My Coding Skills:
I know HTML/CSS and Javascript languages which are essential for
web-design. I am also learning PhoneGap for Android. Here is the link to my
Github repository to check my relevant projects:

https://github.com/Vada695

I wanted to ask if building a mobile application of Tux4ME using
HTML,CSS,Javascript and PhoneGap can be taken as a GSOC project. If yes,
then should the app be compatible with various mobile polatforms?

I will be uploading a proposal soon. I will be really grateful for any
feedback.

Thank you