[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] [Tuxmath-devel] tuxtype and Arabic

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 17:39:36 UTC 2008

Hello Fahad,

On 8/5/08, OMLX <fahad.alsaidi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now I am making Arabic theme for Tuxtype. I've finished this files:
>
> But when I played Tuxtype games the words not displayed , have a look to
> screenshot.
>
> What is the problem??

Most likely, the problem is that the default font for Tuxtype does not have
the glyphs required to display Arabic characters.  The menu text uses
SDL_Pango, which somehow automatically selects an appropriate font.
However, the games themselves (fish cascade and comet zap) try to display
the characters using the currently selected font, which by default is
Andika_Des_RevG.ttf, IIRC.

If you need a different font (and it sounds like you do), you need to make a
settings.txt file in your theme and specify the font name like this (from
the Malayalam theme), using, of course, the actual name of your font:

theme_font_name=Rachana_w01.ttf

The font file itself needs to be added to data/fonts, and the Makefile.am's
need to be updated accordingly.

If you want your theme to be added to the project, find a font for Arabic
that is in Debian.  I can take care of the adjustments to the Makefile.am's,
etc in that case.

One other thing to be considered - my understanding is that Arabic is
written right-to-left, which the games do not currently support, so the
words will come out looking "backwards" to an Arabic reader.  Maybe we can
fix that at some point.

David Bruce