[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Compilation Instructions

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 00:40:58 UTC 2008

I don't have any personal experience building Tux Type on Windows (the
windows builds we distribute are cross-compiled on Debian), but it should
work the same as Linux if you are able to get a build environment that has
all the needed tools and libs (autoconf, automake, gettext, as well as the
libs for SDL/SDL_image/SDL_mixer/SDL_ttf, and the libs they depend on
(libjpeg, FreeType, etc.)

Once you have your build environment set up, it is pretty simple.  From
within trunk:

autoreconf -i
./configure
make
sudo  make install

The  hard part is the build environment, which is typically painful on
Windows.  Unless you already have a mingw-based setup to build SDL apps,  it
would honestly be much easier to put a small linux install on part of your
disc.  For any Debian or Fedora-based distro, I can attest that it is
extremely simple to install everything you need with apt or yum.

Cheers,

David Bruce