[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] [Tuxmath-devel] TuxMath and TuxType BeOS ports

Schrijvers Luc Begasus at skynet.be
Tue Dec 16 18:30:57 UTC 2008

On di, 2008-12-16 at 09:40 -0600, David Bruce wrote:
> Hi Luc,
>
> On 12/16/08, Schrijvers Luc <Begasus at skynet.be> wrote:
>         > Tuxmath creates a "./tuxmath" dir inside the user's home the
>         first
>         > time it runs, then looks for when the program is run
>         again.  It is
>         > possible that it doesn't know where to look on BeOS.  This
>         dir is used
>         > for things like keeping track of high scores and gold stars.
>         >
>         It used to work before (also for TuxType) ... isn't there an
>         option to
>         set or use $HOME for this? (savings file path).
>
> On Unix-y systems the tuxmath settings directory is $HOME/.tuxmath.
> IIRC, on BeOS that should be /boot/home/.tuxmath
> On my Debian system it is /home/dbruce/.tuxmath
>
> So this dir doesn't exist after tuxmath is run?

There is no ./tuxmath folder in $HOME (/boot/home) no.

> Regarding TuxType
>
>         >
>         > TuxType and TuxMath both try out various paths to see if
>         they are
>         > valid, and subsequently the first valid path identified is
>         used to
>         > find the data files.  In TuxType, these paths are:
>         >
>         > const char PATHS[NUM_PATHS][FNLEN] =
>         > {
>         >   DATA_PREFIX"/share/"PACKAGE"/data",
>         added "/boot/apps/Games/TuxTyping2/share/tuxtype/data"
>         >   "/usr/share/"PACKAGE"/data",
>         >   "/usr/local/share/"PACKAGE"/data",
>         >   "./data"
>         > };
>
> Hmm - I guess we need to dig into the actual function that is testing
> the paths and enable some debugging output to see what is happening.
> IIRC, the testing is done by CheckFile() that tries to open the path
> as either a file or dir.  Originally, there was a dirent-based method
> but I think I got rid of it because it didn't give correct results on
> Windows.  I'll look into this more when I'm back at Linux.
>
> Do you have everything you need on BeOS to build from svn(autoconf,
> automake, etc)?  That would make it easier to both try potential fixes
> and to ensure they are retained for the future.

I have autotools on Haiku that is working .. but when I compile tuxtype
in Haiku I can't seem to run it.
I usualy use Haiku to start with the autotools and finish up in ZETA
compiling a working version.

> Cheers,
>
> David
>
> p.s. - what is the current availability of BeOS/Zeta, and what
> hardware will it run on?  I last used my BeOS R5 disk on my PII 400 -
> it would not boot on the AMD Athlon I built just after that, and I
> have used AMD ever since.  I do have an Intel-based work laptop, as
> well as an Intel iMac.  I am somewhat interested in having a function
> BeOS install again.

I'm running ZETA/Haiku/BeOS R5 on my PC Pentium4 2.4Ghz and ZETA/Haiku
on the laptop Aspire 5612WLMi (with network, sound partialy supported by
oss but I have some conflict with another driver that I need to
investigate in Haiku). BeOS R5 and ZETA are not availlable for purchase
anymore ... best bet would be to investigate into Haiku (opensource
project to create an OS with R5 binary compitibility). I'm still using
ZETA as my main building system for BeOS software because the binary's
there can be used in R5, ZETA and Haiku, Haiku compiled binarys are only
working in Haiku, so for me it's best to stick to ZETA as build system.

PS If you want to try out Haiku you can always download a raw or vmware
image from haiku-os.org (or try the - a bit older - images I have on
zeta-games:
http://zeta-games.com/latest/haiku-vmware-development-image.html it
holds a full dev system and the third party apps).

Luc aka Begasus