[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] tuxmath and tuxtype ideas

Sushil Pandey send2sushil at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 19:51:40 UTC 2009

Hi all,
I am a third year Engineering student in the field of Information Technology
studying at National Institute of Technology, India. I am very much willing
to take part as a GSOC student in tux4kids. I would like to discuss some of
the ideas regarding tuxmath and tuxtype.

I wish to add some more playing options in tuxmaths. I was thinking of
implementing the square puzzles in which some numbers will be initially
filled up by our program and user have to fill rest of the numbers so that
the sums of the vertical elements, horizontal elements  and diagonal
elements will be same. I was also wondering if sudoku could be the part of
tuxmath. We can vary the complexity of the sudoku by varying the size of the
squares also(4x4, 9,9,16x16).

I have included a attachment 'snapshot.jpg' with this post which helps to
understand the idea I  will explain in the following lines. Blue boxes in
the 'snapshot.jpg' will contain the either  alphabets  or numbers randomly.
Tux has to move along a grey path and unlock each of the boxes in
alpabetical order or numberical order. Unlocking the first alphabet may
allow him to open the door of the next alphabet and so on. Otherwise he may
not be able to proceed further and time consumed will be more. If we work
with alpabets and numerals it may be feseable only for the very beginners.
However, we may place words in blue boxes such that one  has to proceed in
alphabetical order. Also we may also place with small mathematical
expressions such that one has to compare the results and proceed in
ascending or descending order as specified.

And for implementing the hangman-type word guessing game(included in the
project idea of tuxtype) we can use the penguin and the igloos . For every
wrong guess the igloo will melt. If the igloo will completely melt the
penguin will go away. Such case is already implemented in one of the tuxmath
games. We may only need to modify some of the aspects.

Can any of the above ideas may be a part of tux4kids with or without
modifications. Please share your views.

Regards,
Sushil