[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Tuxtype

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Thu May 21 15:21:00 UTC 2009

Hi Holger et al,

> from doc/ChangeLog
>
>        - Added automatic keyboard layout generation in practice.c.
>        - Modified the keyboard.lst file format. The current format can be any
> of the three below:
>        - char
>        - finger|char
>        - finger|char|latin character
>        - Features added so that the information about the keyboard gets
> updated each time the game is run.
> given the above information, could you make it current? :)

I updated howtotheme.html just now to reflect the changes in the
keyboard.lst format and also font handling.

btw - had you noticed that we now have completely split the text
rendering into SDL_ttf-only vs. SDL_Pango-only?  This is set at
compile-time, and the default is to build with SDL_Pango.  If
SDL_Pango is used, we do not use SDL_ttf at all, and thus do not
directly require any ttf fonts (either bundled or as system fonts).

So, for Debian packaging, you could make tuxtype require either:

1. SDL_Pango
or
2. SDL_ttf plus ttf-sil-andika

If SDL_ttf is used, the other ten fonts can be "recommends" - if a
theme requests one of these fonts but it isn't found, tuxtype will
print an error to stderr but it no longer segfaults.

When I started making all the rpms with the openSUSE build service, I
just made SDL_Pango a requirement to avoid the font bundling issues.

Cheers,

David