[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Applying for GSoC 2010

anthony g anthony.guev at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 14:41:44 UTC 2010

Hi,
My name is Anthony Guevara, I am considering applying for GSoC - Tux
Type 2010. I have a few questions that you can hopefully answer. I am
a student in Canada attending a post secondary college studying
"Computer Engineering Technology - Computing Science".

 This semester I am currently studying C programming in the Linux
environment and would be ecstatic if I could transfer what I have
learnt directly to a summer job. The problem I am having is that I
still feel very 'green' and even a little intimidated by the idea
suggestions. I am more than willing to learn and put in the time
required for project completion, but am unclear on code patch
submission:

The application requests:

"Also (IMPORTANT) - to demonstrate that you do in fact have a basic
level of coding skills, you must create a small patch that modifies
one of the programs in some way. It does not have to be anything
central to your proposed project, just so it shows that you know basic
C - perhaps writing a simple function that writes something to stdout
at some point in the program. The patch should be in the form of a
"unified" diff, using standard GNU utilities.

Your patch should be sent as an email attachment to:

tux4kids.gsoc2010 at gmail.com"

I am looking through the source and it is a little overwhelming. I am
unsure of where to insert this function and where to call it. Also,
after I have made the necessary changes to the source file do I just
send a copy of the original and the modified copy? I have never used
diff before but am willing to learn.

Kind regards,
Anthony Guevara