[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Apply for Tux4Kids-TuxTyping project from LIU Yang in China

baby cat prettinessbabycat at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 4 03:19:03 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,
  Please forgive my poor Engligh.
  I'm on my second year for a Master degree in Computer Science from Chinese
Academy of Science,China.My name is Liu Yang.
  I'm so excited to see the Tux4Kids when I look through the projects list
of GSoC--the SuperTux on OpenSUSE really impressed me.So I browsed Tux4Kids'
pages and the project ideas,realizing that it would be a big honor to
participate in this project.Your passion for bringing happiness to kids
really affects me,and many many ideas just burst out,about the existing
games and the approaching games.But when I calmed down,I find that you guys
are right--the foundation architecture of the software is very very
important for a successful game.
  My major is computer graphic,so I think I can handle things refer to CG;I
am familiar with C/C++,SQL,some source code management systems like
SVN,CVS,Git,some game engine like OSG,OGRE and Linux programming.And I'm
using OpenGL,DirectX,OpenCV,CUDA lib most in my research work,so I think I
can master SDL quickly(already studying and using it now).Also I can help
the locale of the TuxTyping for Chinese and Japanese.
  That letting more students play the games is the most important thing,so
the internationalization and cross-platform support is the first-level
task.If it has enough time,other features should be considered.I list some
ideas below:
1.Assistant features:such as a special character who do help which Deepak
has mentioned,some properties like a green letter for slow down the falling
of words,and take a test and give a suggestion of the hardness of game at
beginning.
2.Playfulness:There are a few game mode for now,and students always like
something new,so it's okay to add some more modes,taking endless
mode,time-limiting mode for example.Also the fish can not only falling
down,but also swimming along a river;the penguin have to jump from one ice
to another which has a letter on to across the river.
3.Multiplatform:Have you considered to make it run on cellphone?For I have
noticed that kids around me are available for cellphone easily than a
computer.
4.New games:I really want to advice you to develop a jigsaw puzzle game for
the imagery thinking is such a basis for the in-depth learning of many
subjects.
  Wish you good luck !
  Best regards!

                               LIU Yang